Mark Nickerson - First Selectman
"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer."
John F. Kennedy
Leadership in Town Government:
- elected in 1999 to the Zoning Commission
- Chairman of Zoning 2001-2009
- elected to Board of Selectman 2009
- appointed as Deputy First Selectman 2009
- appointed to First Selectman January 6, 2015 to PRESENT
Experienced in Business:
- Stonehill College, North Easton, MA, BA degree, 1985
- Opened local GEICO office, Groton, CT 1990
- Opened 2nd GEICO office in Rhode Island, Aug 2000
Leading on our community:
- Past President, Navy League of US, East CT Council
- Past Secretary and VP, Groton Rotary Club
- Past Director, Eastern CT Chamber of Commerce
- current member of Niantic Rotary
- Honorary Chief Petty Officer US Navy and USCG
- past Chair, Military Affairs Committee, Chamber of Commerce
- member, SE CT Council of Governments
- member, Connecticut Council of Municipalities
- manager/coach various youth baseball and soccer teams in EL
- Married to Marlene Popeo Nickerson 1988
- 2 sons; Ryan 21 and Andrew 18
It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference.
Meet Mark Nickerson
Above all things, if kindness is your king
Then heaven will be yours before you reach your end.
"Don't be distracted by criticism. Remember--the only taste of success some people get is to take a bite out of you."
Intentions without action is an insult to those who expect the best from you.
East Lyme's First Selectman
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
My name is Mark Nickerson and it's an honor to serve you as East Lyme's First Selectman. I've been on the job since January 6th, 2015. My current elected term expires December 2019.
Although the role of First Selectman is an immense task, the experience of serving as the Deputy First Selectman for five years for Paul Formica prepared me well and allowed for a smooth transition. Additionally, my experience on the Zoning Commission—serving as its chairman for eight years—has given me the background necessary to lead this town. Volunteering and serving, lending my time, talent and energy to this great town for the past 18 years has been a real joy…a labor of love.
I can’t imagine a better community to raise a family. Our beautiful shoreline, our walking trails and open space, our charming downtown village, our high quality schools and the convenience of our businesses and services all combine to make East Lyme the wonderful community that it is. But the best part of East Lyme is its citizens. Hundreds and hundreds of people volunteer to contribute to the betterment of our town. It gives me great pride to call East Lyme home.
Do not take East Lyme's success for granted. Years and years of hard work by all our departments, boards and commissions have come together to make East Lyme the wonderful town that it has become. For instance, the re-birth of Niantic Main Street was a deliberate plan laid out 15 years ago. We encouraged and promoted a zone that would be attractive for restaurants and retailers to open businesses and be successful and a village where residents would call it home. Combined with a streetscape beautification project, the plans have all come together...the result is the renaissance of Niantic Village.
I am proud to be a part of it from the very beginning.
To laugh often and love much, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to give one's self, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson